Friday, January 28, 2011

Don't EVER Argue Music With Me

I would like to retract my last post. Well, not all of it, but some of it. As I mentioned before, most of my floor is musically inclined and I can discuss music with them for the most part. Since that post, however, I have come to realize that this is not the case. I have discovered that my next door neighbor has no clue about music. He is just smart enough to be stupid, which bugs me. A few days ago, my roommate and I were listening to The Beatles, one of the most influential bands of all time, when he walked in. "Turn that off and play some real rock," he said. "The Beatles are awful." I merely laughed that one off.

But it continued to get worse.

The next day, he walked into my room as I was playing Rock Band. I just so happened to be playing an Aerosmith song. "I hate Aerosmith. They are so bad." Two amazing bands torn to shreds and robbed of their proper place in musical history in two days. It had to stop here, right?

Wrong.

The next song I chose to play was Van Halen's "Hot For Teacher," a song by a band that inspired thousands of kids to pick up a guitar. "I can't stand Van Halen. They have no importance in the world of music." I lost it.

"Wait a minute. Are you telling me that Van Halen has absolutely no significance in the history of music?" I said.

"That is what I said. They did nothing good," he responded.


"And you are also saying that The Beatles and Aerosmith, both of which had profound influence on music, are no good?"


"That is exactly what I am saying. They never released anything good."


At this point, I was a little bit hot under the collar. "Ok then. If you hate The Beatles, Aerosmith, AND Van Halen, who DO you like?"

His response put me over the edge.

"My favorite band is Blink 182."

I couldn't believe it.

"GET OUT OF MY ROOM RIGHT NOW! I WILL NOT STAND HERE AND LET YOU INSULT THREE OF THE BEST AND MOST INFLUENTIAL BANDS IN THE HISTORY OF MUSIC! COME BACK WHEN YOU HAVE AN APPRECIATION FOR GOOD MUSIC."

For those of you who don't know much about music, without The Beatles, Aerosmith, or Van Halen, my neighbor's precious Blink 182 wouldn't even exist.

I found out later that he also enjoys Rascal Flats, but thinks that Led Zeppelin is one of the worst bands of all time.

2 comments:

  1. I think your neighbor may need his head examined..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is what I suggest...
    Step 1: open your door and walk out into the hallway.
    Step 2: walk into your neighbor's room.
    Step 3: proceed to smack neighbor for his poor rhetorical approach for the argument against your music.
    Step 4: go back to your room and play in order; Black Dog by Led Zepplin, I am the Walrus by The Beatles, Dream On by Aerosmith, and Eruption by Van Halen (the good 6-10 minute version not the short one). play these as loud as humanly possible.
    you are welcome.

    ReplyDelete